Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Pieces



One of my resolutions this year was to make a quilt. I am always in awe of people who make quilts...and like everything else the past few years..I kinda feel like if I just jumped in, I could figure it out. So far that philosophy has worked with photography, knitting and random sewing projects.

So recently I've had lots of extra time on my hands...(or hand as it were) so I've been summoning up the courage and today was the day. I don't have any quilt how-to books in my possession so I really just kind of jumped right in and went for it. I knew I wanted to start with a 12 inch square so I got out my cutting mat and rotary cutter, and some bits of random fabric I had. And since this was just for practice, I didn't worry about the color scheme, I just used whatever I had smallish pieces of.



I cut out pieces in different shapes and started fitting them into my 12 inch square. I did it! It really wasn't that hard. I am literally the worst cutter in the world. I can't cut a straight line to save my life, even WITH a rotary cutter. But I just kept trimming and squaring up and it worked great.



I decided after I had my square sewn together to go ahead and make a slipcover for one of my couch pillows. They are getting pretty raggedy and could use a new look. My pillows are 18 in., so I knew I would have to add a 3 in. border around my square. I used some natural linen I had lying around to frame the square, and I think it looks great! I can never get enough of linen I think it is my favorite design fabric.



Next, I made an envelope back with two colors that were on the front patchwork part.The cover actually ended being a little bit too big, but I think that's because my pillow has lost a lot of it's fluff. Oh, I forgot to take a picture of the back...ooops. I'm so happy with how it turned out for my first time.



It actually came together without a hitch. Which NEVER happens for me, it was almost too easy..hmmmm. I am going to make another one since I have another pillow on my couch which now needs covered. I think it looks perfect on my window seat. Don't you?




Now I'm going to start scouting fabric for my real quilt. I think I want some bold colors with linen sashing and I'm not sure about the backing yet. Feel free to comment on any new fabric lines that you are loving. :)

No comments: